Yum

Saturday 13 September 2014

Smashed Avocado and Feta on Toast - breakfast in 3 minutes

Just about every cafe I visit has "smashed avocado" on their menu.  It is often served with feta, sometimes with ham, sometimes with a poached egg on top.  Avocados have a soft nutty flavour which I love, and so many health benefits.  They are good for heart health, blood pressure (which I keep my eye on), good for your skin, have good fats and are generally nom-worthy.  I had an avocado and a little bit of leftover feta from making Meatzza again for friends of ours the other day and thought I'd try my hand at a very simple breakfast which packed a taste punch.

Smashed avocado is pretty simple - it's literally what it sounds like, and combined with feta, lemon juice and a little salt and pepper is so good.  You can't go wrong with this one.

Ingredients

Serves 2

  • 2-4 slices of toast (unbuttered) depending on the size. I use burgen bread which is TINY  so I used two slices.  Serve this on turkish bread if you want to be fancy. 
  • 1 avocado
  • 2 tbs feta
  • Squeeze of lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper

Potential Spins

Add bacon or ham.  Smoked salmon fancies up any breakfast.  Add an egg on top.  Or even try this on top of scrambled eggs - that could actually be quite nice.  You could even use this as a component of a breakfast tortilla....my brain is whirring with possibilities right now...

Method

  1. Start the toast
  2. Scoop the flesh of an avocado into a bowl, add feta, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Using a fork, smash it into a mix!  Leave a few chunks to make it feel rustic.
  4. Spread it onto your toast.
And voila! Simple smashed avocado breakfast.

My Take Aways

This meal literally took 3 minutes to make.  The smashed avocado and feta are ready by the time the toast pops.  It could even be made on a weekday without causing hassle, because it would be plated by the time the jug boiled for coffee.  A bit of ham on top wouldn't add any extra time. Adding a poached egg on top would mean that you'd likely be satisfied with just one slice of toast.  It would add a couple of extra minutes, but if you started the egg first then did all the other steps while the egg cooked then I think it would still be pretty quick overall.  I'm considering using this as an easier alternative to guacamole in a breakfast tortilla in the next few weeks.  If I do, then I'll post it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment