Yum

Saturday 20 December 2014

My Favourite Side Salad


This has been my favourite side salad for years.  It has a great mix of flavours that I love, I don't end up picking out anything, and it is enjoyable to eat.  It goes with pretty much anything - steak, chicken, fish, skewers, burgers, small serves of pasta or rice dishes - you name it.  Plus you can always pre chop the veggies at the beginning of the week and throw it together each night with minimal fuss. Salty, peppery sweetness.  Yum.


Ingredients

  • Baby cos lettuce leaves
  • 1/4 small red capsicum, diced
  • 2 rings of red onion, rings separated and chopped
  • feta to taste, diced
  • 1/2 avocado, diced
  • 2 tsp baby capers, drained of brine
  • Low fat French dressing, to taste
Serves 2.  Double for 4.

Potential Spins

The main spins I use with this salad are adding perino/cherry/grape tomatoes or sun dried tomatoes, and/or adding pitted kalamata olives.  Changing up the dressing will spin it any which way as well.  Balsamic vinegar would go nicely too. My usual go-to dressing if I am not using low fat French is a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil.  If you included more lettuce and added spinach and a can of drained tuna, this would take it from a side to a meal.   With balsamic vinegar, this salad is a tasty lunch for work.

Method

  1. Dice everything
  2. Throw it together
    Undressed version - gasp! Its naked!
  3. Dress and enjoy :)

My Take Aways

I'm not really sure what I can add here, but I like it and will continue making it for years to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment